Thursday, October 2, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom!

Lots of celebrations are happening over here in Beccadom! First of all, my blog turned 1-month old yesterday! I want to thank everyone who has stopped by and left encouraging comments. A special call-out goes out to the amazing Greta who featured one of my cards on her blog! Also to the ladies of the Card Chain Club, who have been a constant encouragement - here's looking at you Gail, Joy, Joyce, and Dawn! It's encouragement like that that has made this past month one of the best (and most productive) crafting months ever! I even have achieved an honorable mention, and won some great new supplies from STAMPlorations and Simon Says Stamp. I'm having a BLAST!

But more importantly, this little lady is turning 50!!



That's my momma (and me when I was rocking some longer, darker hair). She's one of my very best friends and I can't believe she's so OLD! Haha - just kidding I love you mom. I knew I had to make her a special birthday card, or she'd never let me live it down.

My mom exudes brightness and is as boisterous as they come, so I set out to create something that matched her personality. I started with a cake stamp from a Close to My Heart set, stamped it in brown Distress Ink and then covered the "frosting" portion with embossing paste. As you can see, the Distress Ink, which is water reactive, started to seep into the paste, which I think is neat! I sprinkled on some glitter and stamped some green 50s around the image. It was pretty easy... you might even say it was a... wait for it... piece of cake! (Sorry I just couldn't resist.)

I added some bright, shiny, glittery paper from Die Cuts With a View's Birthday Wishes Paper Stack. The whole pack is coordinated and makes the perfect bright pops of color needed for a cute and crafty birthday card. I especially love the inside sentiment, which was a cheap-o $1 stamp from the Michaels bargain bin. 

I finished out the card with a birthday pennant and a yellow button, to add to the cuteness. It's a good thing my mom doesn't know how to use the internet... must be an age thing... because I'm not giving this card to her until Saturday. Shhh! Don't show it to her!


This card is pretty perfect for the following challenges:
Seize the Birthday's Pennants and Banners challenge
Stampavie and More's Birthday Challenge
ColorQ's Color Challenge #261 which looks a little something like this: 

16 comments:

  1. Very pretty Becca and a Happy Birthday to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Becca, that cake looks edible!! Love the bunting casually draped over the card. Thanks so much for playing along at Seize The Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca I see your lovely little face on Dawn blog also I visiting you again
    I know Dawn since I join Hero Arts Flickr at year 2009 long time ago right
    And I want to say your card is soooo lovely love the topping on the cake...looks like a real one
    your mom looks so young and you looks so sweet in blue dress...
    happy birthday to your mom...
    she has a wonderful daughter ...and has a sweet smile like her mom..
    hugs from Munich
    PS: hope we can be friend in blog land...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of the great colors on your card and the texture on the cake! Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca that frosting looks amazing!! How clever! Happy birthday to your Momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love,Love this card...you are so clever to make a piece of cake. I am sure your mom loved it as much as we did over at Seize the Birthday! Thanks for joining us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday to your mom, Beccas! She's awesome and so is the card you made for her! And happy 1st month anniversary to your blog! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh and I forgot to add...that cake is SO yummy!!! I'm not going to look at my embossing paste the same way again LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake looks yummy! I'm sure your Mom will love this sweet card!
    Thank you for joining us at Seize The Birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet card! Love the icing on the cake and belated birthday to ur mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks like a real piece of cake! Congrats on your one month blogaversary and congrats to your mum as well. It's a pleasure visiting you and glad to see you doing well around blog land. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh that cake is amazing, what a great card!! Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONGRATS on your win at Seize the Birthday - and your mom's birthday and your 1 month anniversary - well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your win at Seize The Birthday challenge yeah doing happy dance for you....its really a nice and yummy card Becca...again big congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! This card rocks!! I LOVE the frosting!! Congrats on the win at Seize the Birthday. I can see why this won!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your mom from me--guess I'm a REALLY old lady--LOL! Congrats on your win--so deserved, Becca! You're sweet to mention me as you're the one who inspired me!

    ReplyDelete