Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Perfect Pearls and Distress Inks, Great Watercolor Effect

I think it's best to start this blog out with the aftermath:



Things got a little messy in the creation of this card... My hand and my crafting mat (which was cleaned up before I took the picture) suffered the consequences.

The challenge over at Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday blog was to use a watercolor technique. What's that SSS? You want me to pull out my Distress Inks? Ok... if you twist my arm. 

Have you seen those images with the melted crayons and the umbrella people kissing under them? My intention was to try to recreate that using stamps and Distress Inks instead of melted wax. 

Here's my background image:


To achieve this effect, I first dipped the page into a mixture of Stormy Sky, Weathered Wood, and Chipped Sapphire. I dried with a heat tool, then stamped my umbrella man in black archival ink and masked the image so the "raindrops" wouldn't get near it. To create the raindrops, I squished Chipped Sapphire onto a craft mat, spritzed generously with water, and then used a paintbrush to fling it over the card. I then squished Broken China onto the mat and added some Perfect Pearls "Perfect Pearl" before flinging that onto the card with a paintbrush. I think it turned out super neat! 

I brushed the edges with more Chipped Sapphire and adhered the image. Then I embossed the sentiment in blue onto a tag, attached some ribbon and put the whole thing together.


 The whole card is made using Tim Holtz's "Life's Possibilities" set. The challenge at Create Something Catchy is to only use one stamp set, and I wanted to play along.



Creative Craft Cottage has a bingo card going on, and since I used ribbon, tag, and pearls (Perfect Pearls anyway), I can play along!


Last, but not least, I'm sending this over to Addicted to Stamps and More's "Anything Goes" challenge. I just LOVE the shimmer and shine of this in real life. 

I adore your comments - they seriously make my day! Leave me a few lines so I know you were here and I can visit your blogs, too!

21 comments:

  1. What a great result from all your playing ,,, that stormy background is to-die-for!! Thanks for sharing your process : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. the end product is so worth the messy hands Becca. It is just perfect. Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my hands looked like that before. You should have seen me when I sneezed and I had my glitter open-yup everywhere! I love the card and shimmer would be magical. Love the effect

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a realistic looking stormy sky, Becca. And I really like the rest of your card design too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing , just love this look x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, all that flinging and getting messy was certainly worth it. What a stunner you've created, really atmospheric. Thanks so much for joining in at ATSM this week, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy getting a little messy from time to time too, kinda liberating in a way! All the mess was worth it.
    Thanks for taking part in this weeks challenge at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stormy skies you created...this is a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is just amazing! I love reading about how you did it and the finished product is just a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mess was totally worth it!! That card is STUNNING!! I would frame that and hang it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was totally worth getting messy, Becca--love how your card turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card Becca, I love everything about your card and your water colouring is fabulous,
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The water coloring is perfect Becca!, I do like the picture of your hand too ;) A fab masculine card. Thanks for joining us at CSSC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how your background turned out. The colors are outstanding! Thanks for sharing how you did this and for playing along at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WoW!! its amazing ..love the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice take on our challenge lovely watercolouring. Thank you for joining us in CSCC#8. Good Luck
    DT Shylaa

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sign of a great project can always be determined by how messy we get. :D This is a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous shimmer - so glad to see that you've linked up to the Muse DT call!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just popping by to say I voted for you over at Muse!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another gorgeous inky card, you have created a really atmospheric card x

    ReplyDelete