Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Using Distress Inks with a Rubber Brayer

The leaves are blowing off the trees here in North Dakota. Bare branches reach for the ever colder air and a brisk wind scatters the leaves from one pile to another. Winter draws closer every day and the magic of the first snowfall will soon make its entry. 

That's the feeling the card I created tonight gives me. My boss's father passed away this week and I set out to make a sympathy card for her. Sympathy cards are always the toughest for me to create because I never know what to say, what not to say. Everything seems trite. 

It seems fitting then, that my card ultimately turned out rather clean, without my usual layers or embellishments. 





To create this look, I used one of my favorite Distress Ink Techniques. Many people have heard of dipping the colors, but not everyone has learned about using a rubber brayer to create a smoother transition of colors. 



To get the colors to pop, I used a glossy photo paper. Squish your chosen colors (here is Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, and Spiced Marmalade) into a craft mat and spritz with water until the colors begin to run together. Take a brayer, and roll it through the colors, until it is inked up. Then roll the brayer onto your chosen paper. When my aunt showed me this technique, I fell in love with its effect right away!

I freehanded the hills using a gray-black Spectrum Noir Marker. Next, I used an older (2008) Stampendous stamp set called "Winter Trees" to create my deer scene and mounted the image on black cardstock. Lastly, I embossed the sentiment using a gold powder. 

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
STAMPlorations October Challenge - Stamps and Embossing
Try it on Tuesday's Challenge -Animals
Addicted to Stamps Challenge - Anything Goes
SSS Monday Challenge - Falling in Love With... (show a technique you fell in love with)
Pile it On Challenge - Autumn 

In case you want to see a clear difference between a dipped background (I wrote a brief tutorial on dipping here) and a brayer background, I created two backgrounds. The left is dipped (and I added Fired Brick Distress Ink) and the right is a brayer background. 


Thank you for stopping by! I REALLY enjoy reading your comments so thank you to all those who leave encouragement!

16 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful card and a technique I have never tried. Thank you for explaining how to do it and for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful background, this cards gives a lovely calming effect and so for me perfect for a sympathy card. Thanks for joining us at ATSM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful technique, will be giving it a go soon, its perfect for a sympathy card, I like the tree stamps, and the deers in the background too. Thanks for joining us at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delightful Becca. Your background is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous. Never thought to brayer DI's. Love the smooth look. Must give it a go. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. really touching and simple, thanks for joining us at TIOT.EE

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card will be lovely for your boss and she will appreciate it. I love that technique. I will also have to try it out. Now I will look at the dipped technique

    ReplyDelete
  8. really beautiful card perfect for the occasion. Thanks for sharing the brayering technique. I tried using one this past weekend and can't wait to try out your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great technique - beautiful background! Thanks for linking up with us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about making sympathy cards! I try to have a small stash ready. This is beautiful - really warm. I'm sure your boss will really appreciate the card and the thought! Thanks so much for playing along with ASM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never used my brayer! I'm going to get it out and try this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. completely stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, fabulous background! Thanks for sharing the technique, will give it a try. Thanks also for joining us at ATSM and STAMPlorations. Good Luck! Monika

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, not sure I've ever used my brayer with Distress Inks & I LOVE the effect you created! I will be doing this for sure now! You drew those trees?!! I'm in awe, Becca--just what a sympathy card should look like in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Becca...Funtastic effect..I love the scene you made...looks soo romantic...thanks for remind me to try cause I have brayer and never used it :) great card sweety

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice! Looks awesome using the brayer...then do you just rinse it off?

    Fabulous card, love the silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete