Friday, September 11, 2015

Featured Friday - Samantha Aguilera!!

Happy Featured Friday Folks, it's that fine time of the month where I get to spread around some bloggy love and showcase a blogger who's inspired me in some way.


Today's star designer is brought to you by the letter S for:





Although my style tends to be more mixed media-y, I admire designers for a host of different reasons. These FF segments have seen cardmakers who focus on shabby chic, masking masterminds, and yes - even clean and simple.

That's because even if I'm not particularly good at creating in that aesthetic, I still drool over well-designed cards in any style. And Featured Fridays are a GREAT way to get me outside of my comfort zone.

And that's where Samantha comes in. We "met" when she asked me to be a part of the Crafty Gals Design Team (which I served a term on). I always drooled over Sammy's ability to create fancy fold cards, but her greatest skill (in my opinion) is coloring. Holeeee snapdragons can this girl color!

By why let me tell you all about her, when she can do that herself? Here's 7 things you should know about Samantha:


1. How did you get your start in card making?

My mom is actually the one who got me started! In December of 2009 I got a Cricut and I have just expanded from there. I've always been into crafty things though. Before I was into card making, I use to paint and scrapbook as well.



2. You're an amazing colorist! Have any tips for people interested in learning to color like you?

I invested in some of the Kit & Clowder technique classes and those are worth every penny! I feel like those classes defintely help me perfect some of my coloring techniques and I've learned so many new ones along the way as well. The biggest tip, I would have to say though is PRACTICE!



3. If you could buy any craft supply/product right now, what would it be?

A MISTI! I've been eyeballing that thing out for a while now. I have a couple stamp sets that are meant to be layered and with MISTI it looks like it would be a breeze.



4. If you were a color, what color would you be and why?

I would have to say Magenta. First off it's my favorite color, second off I love how fun, loud, and pretty it is!




5. What are your favorite card making challenges?

I'm completely biased but Crafty Gals Corner (which I run for those of you who didn't know) is one of my favorites! I also really like Faery Ink, Scrapper's Delights, Sassy Studio Designs. Some of those are blog challenges but nevertheless - still fun!



6. How do you stay organized?

I attribute a lot of that to my need for organization. My craftroom has to be oragnized, I'm a little OCD about it. Every box is labeled with what it's side, things are alphabetized, color coded, etc. My dies and stamps are in Stamping Up! Storage boxes and are colored coded by occasion. I can't stand not being able to find something - so with this crazy organized way I hardly ever loose anything.



7. What is your best advice for new bloggers?

Explore other people's blogs, find some inspiration, and show us what you got!

-----------------------------------------

I just got a MISTI and, although I haven't had much time to test it out, I can tell it's going to be amazing! 

For those of you who haven't seen a Featured Friday before, it's all about CASEing. I'll find one creation on the featuree's blog that made me fall in love, and then we BOTH get to CASE the creation! 

THE ORIGINAL


Oh my goodness golly - this card is actually displayed in my dining room right now because Samantha sent it to me for my birthday. I was BLOWN AWAY. That gorgeously colored ombre hair, the netting, and the pearl "bubbles" It's so creative and something I never would have thought to design!

SAMANTHA'S CASE



MY CASE


 

So my very first thought was to do  Janna Prosvirina's Oak Fairy

with ombre hair like the awesome Samantha - ummmm yeaaaaahhhhh I'm going to need some practice withthat because, as you can see - this is NOT ombre hair. Snicker*



I forgot how relaxing coloring could be!! I colored this girl up with a whole HOST of Spectrum Noir Markers. ANNND! After one rather unsuccessful attempt at scoring, I fancy folded! *Takes bow* Taaa daaaa! So thank you Samantha, for pushing me out of my comfort zone because I LOVE what I created! 

I'm sending this gal over to:
Crafty Gals Corner - Bingo Challenge (I chose the middle row down - ribbon, colored digi, sentiment)
Aud Sentiments - ATG + a sentiment
One Sweet Challenge - Anything Goes using Sweet Pea Stamps
Darnell's NBUS - Everything on this card is new. I won this digi stamp back in March and haven't used it yet - woops! I also used some brand new May Arts adhesive ribbon, and the wooden chippies have been idling in my drawer, too. 




-----------------------------------------

Pssssssssssssssssssstttt: Here's special sneaky peeky for my bloggy followers - As we were going through the conversation for Featured Friday, Samantha said "Gosh, I love what you do with mixed media." and I gushed "Thanks! But I WISH I could do what you do with coloring." and so an idea curdled in our brains. 

So on the last Thursday of the month we'll be bringing you


The BS Sessions! Basically, I'll ask Sammy one question about coloring, and SHE will ask me one question about mixed media. And then we'll share tutorials on our blog. The first BS Sessions will be held September 4th! Stay tuned!

PLEASE - if you could spare a minute of your day would you mind popping by Sammy's blog and telling her hello? I'm sure it would make her day!

34 comments:

  1. What wonderful coloring! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous Friday feature, Becca!! Wow, all of the cards are amazing!! I love both Samantha's coloring and yours!! The images are so gorgeous!! Looking forward to your BS Sessions, too!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers! You did an amazing job on this piece! I'm so honored to have been featured on your blog. You are an amazing crafter and I've learned a lot from you too! I can't wait for our BS sessions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great blog post love both cards and looking forward to the BS sessions xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these interview blogposts of yours. Always meet someone new. Sammy is indeed a remarkable colorist and this fancy fold idea intrigues me. But what's really outstanding is your & Sammy's CASE. Jaw dropping perfection on both cards. The hair is amazing on all three (still drooling here). Thanks for sharing. You can be sure I'll be at your BS sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! WOW! Love each of them.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your featured Fridays.....looking forward to the BB's & most of all, all those cards are just stunning......LOVE that you gals can do those fold thingies...they have me flummoxed.....& I sooooo desperately want a MISTI...but I think in the Land Down Under, we may have to wait a few years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becca, your coloring has total WOW-factor! Love this fairy image and the pretty scene you created by CASEing Samantha's card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wow, wow!! What a great interview and your CASE rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning cards! Looking forward to your BS Sessions. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for following my blog. Your CASE is beautiful. :-)
    April

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am speechless and swooning over these cards - magnificently CASEd by BOTH of you!! Love the fancy fold and the wonderful coloring!! So impressive and I am off now to say Hi to Sammy!!!! Thanks, Becca, for being such a light in the lives of others!!!! Happy weekend to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fancy fold; and those cards...each one is a WOW! Looking forward to the BS Sessions and the tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becca, I'm so happy I visited you blog and popped not only into your project but met absolutely amazing colorist Sammy! Be sure I stay here for a long time and hop to Sammys blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful creations.Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments challenge good luck Ginny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can say your sister would love this post. It is all about her!! All the cards are great and I look forward to your BS sessions. What a great idea and it hits coloring and mixed media. Looking forward to the tutorials!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice card you received for sure-love the pearls in her hair. It is also nice to showcase another fellow crafter and learn more. Love your cards and love that fall fairy-richly coloured

    ReplyDelete
  18. These cards are amazing! Everything about them is just gorgeous. I love the rich colours you both used to make your projects and the fancy folds of the cards and the beautiful colouring. You girls never fail to amaze me! I love how Sammy colours and your mixed media projects are always awesome, so you can imagine how much I'm looking forward to your BS sessions. I'm looking forward to learning so much from you both. Good luck ladies and have fun!
    Hugs,
    Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun!!! Such a fun and lively post!!! Wonderful cards too! I love the hair on the mermaid- you colored. Thanks for joining in the challenge at Crafty Gals Corner.
    Amy-DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Becca thank you for introducing me to Sammy - love the original card and both your cases!! Looking forward to your BS days :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this artist on your blog. Her cards are totally gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another wonderful Featured Friday Becca, I haven't seen Sammy's work before! Love what you both did with the CASE, off to see Sammy now. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love fanciful cards. Especially the young woman with the acorn on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this series you're doing sweetie pie! It's always a treat to get to "know" our fellow bloggers, and check out their amazing work too! I'm in awe of you lovely ladies. I have no talent whatsoever for mixed media, but I do like to see the gorgeous creations out there! And here I am....blown away by these cards. "How do they do that??!!" runs through my mind, and while I'm unable to accomplish anything near as amazing, I can drool, wipe, drool, sigh, and really, really admire. So glad I found you, and now through you, other fantastic crafters! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  25. Popped over from NBUS when I saw this damsel! She is so awesome sauce and colored exceptionally well. Hands up to you for doing fancy folds as well! I have never heard of this and had to look it up. Haha! What a treat to see the CASE here as well. I am headed over to Sammy's as well. Totes awesome sauce BS idea!!! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  26. So good to low Samantha :) she has mad coloring skills. Gorgeous creations! Your CASE is incredible !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really cool post Becca!! I just love your CASE version with the Autumn colors!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. gorgeous. gorgeous. gorgeous. aaaallllll gorgeous cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another great Featured Friday, Becca! Great CASE of Sammy's card - I love autumn colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous cards. Lovely colouring. Thanks for joining Aud Sentiments. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for another fun introduction to another fabulous artist.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Becca OH WOWOWOW This is gorgeous and love the beautiful image you chose to use for our current challenge...She is actually a favourite of mine and so is the easel card design...thanks for joining in the fun...xx

    {One Sweet Challenge DT Member}


    Sammy is a gorgeous lady and a great artist too...

    ReplyDelete
  33. She may not have ombre hair, but she is just stunning! Love your colouring and the twisted easel shape. Thanks for joining in the One Sweet Challenge this time. Hope to see you again,

    Vannessa
    One Sweet Challenge DT

    ReplyDelete